Serving all of Georgia

In addition to retirement benefits and compensation for adults who become disabled after working and paying Social Security income taxes for a number of years, the Social Security Administration (SSA) also provides needs-based disability benefits known as Supplemental Security Income (SSI). These benefits are for blind or disabled individuals in financial distress and children under the age of 18 in some circumstances.

Like any other type of Social Security benefits, though, SSI can be hard to obtain on your child’s behalf without counsel from a local disability advocate. Once retained, your dedicated Forsyth County children’s SSI lawyer will advise you on how to build a strong application with as much supplementary evidence as possible, giving you the best chances of getting the benefits your family needs.

SSI Payments for Minor Children

In order for a person under 18 years of age to qualify for SSI, they must meet the SSA’s definition of “disabled,” meaning they must have some physical or mental condition that is expected to last for at least 12 months or result in death and which limits the child’s day-to-day activities.

Additionally, the child’s family cannot earn in excess of the SSA’s income and resource limit. Importantly, though, this limit is calculated differently between child and adult SSI benefits. For an SSI application filed on a child’s behalf, income includes not only work wages/salary earned by their parent(s), but also money obtained from unemployment benefits, contributions from family or friends, and other sources.

Similarly, “resources” in the context of a child SSI claim may include liquid money, financial instruments like stocks and bank accounts, real property, owned land, life insurance, and anything else that could be used to meet basic needs or converted directly into cash. A Forsyth County attorney could review a prospective applicant’s circumstances and identify what property and sources of income might play into their application for SSI benefits on their child’s behalf.

Can Child SSI Benefits Continue into Adulthood?

If the SSA approves an application for children’s SSI benefits, the disabled child in question will continue to receive payments for three years, at which point their SSI status must be renewed. In the same vein, benefits received on behalf of a disabled infant are subject to review once the child reaches their first birthday.

Once a disabled child reaches the age of 18, the income and resources of family members no longer count toward or against their SSI eligibility. Instead, only the disabled child’s own financial resources and earning capacity are considered, and they must also meet a slightly different definition of “disability” that applies to adult SSI applicants. An experienced disability representative’s assistance is often crucial to successfully switching from children’s SSI benefits to adult SSI benefits in Forsyth County.

Get in Touch with a Forsyth County Children’s SSI Attorney

Applying for Social Security disability benefits of any kind is rarely a simple process, especially for benefits sought on a disabled child’s behalf. If you want to boost your family’s chances of obtaining the benefits you need, seeking guidance from a qualified Social Security advocate for the disabled may be a virtual necessity.

By working with a Forsyth County children’s SSI lawyer, you could more effectively protect your child’s interests even in the face of a denied claim. Schedule a consultation by calling our intake team today.

The Khaki Law Firm
Our Firm Approach

There are many Social Security disability law firms throughout Georgia. What sets The Khaki Law Firm apart from the rest? Why should you choose us? We are honored to represent those who have worked hard most of their lives, but due to a mental or physical impairment are no longer able to maintain employment and earn an income.

Read More

Contact The Khaki Law Firm Today

Don't Let the Deadlines Slip You By
(678) 228-8688

    We Are Here For You!

    Step 1 Of 2

    We Are Here For You!
    Have you had to stop working due to a physical and/or mental disability?YesNo
    Have you seen a medical professional in the past 6 months for your disability?YesNo
    Have you been advised by your medical professional that you are unable to work and need to file for disability?YesNo
    Have you made an application for social security disability and/or had a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge?YesNo
    Are you currently or have you in the past received any benefits from the Social Security Administration?YesNo

    Step 2 Of 2

    Contact Info

    With offices in Alpharetta, Atlanta and Marietta, we provide legal assistance to people throughout Georgia and the Southeast in all matters of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

    We are ready to help you, and offer multiple ways to reach us.