Serving all of Georgia

If you are living with a disability after a lifetime in the workforce, you might be entitled to monthly Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA). These benefits could also be available for your children under the right circumstances. An experienced Social Security disability attorney for children can help you pursue this compensation for your child.

There is no guarantee that these benefits will be awarded to your child, even if you are currently receiving SSDI benefits. The guidance of a disability advocate can improve your chances of securing SSDI benefits for your child. Before you pursue a claim on behalf of your child, it could benefit you to speak to a Milton children’s SSDI lawyer.

When is a Minor Child Eligible for SSDI Benefits?

SSDI benefits for a disabled worker’s dependents are known as “auxiliary benefits” and can be awarded to minor children. In order for a child to receive auxiliary benefits through their parent, their parent must already be receiving SSDI or meet all of the eligibility requirements under Social Security law. This includes having a qualifying disability and the necessary work history to qualify for SSDI benefits.

There are benefits available for a wide range of relationships. In addition to the biological child of a disabled worker, auxiliary SSDI benefits could also be awarded to stepchildren, adopted children, grandchildren, step-grandchildren, and grandchildren whose parents are no longer living.

Typically, auxiliary SSDI benefits for minor children are only available until they reach the age of 18. This expiration date could extend to their 19th birthday if they are a student. If the child is disabled, the benefits could continue for much longer.

Calculating Auxiliary SSDI Benefits for a Child

The amount of benefits paid monthly for a child will vary depending on what their disabled parent is entitled to receive. A child will not be entitled to the same amount of benefits that their parent receives. Typically, a child receiving auxiliary SSDI benefits can recover up to 50 percent of what the disabled worker is entitled to every month. A Milton children’s SSDI attorney could help you make these calculations based on your family’s circumstances.

Understanding SSDI Benefits for Disabled Adult Children

Benefits are not only available for the minor children of SSDI recipients. These benefits could also be available to disabled adult children under certain circumstances. Specifically, an adult child could be entitled to SSDI benefits on their own if they are considered disabled by the SSA.

The adult child must be unmarried and unable to work due to a disabling condition that was diagnosed prior to their 22nd birthday. A Milton attorney can advise you on whether your disabled adult child is entitled to receive SSDI benefits.

Contact a Milton Children’s SSDI Attorney Immediately

If you have questions about how SSDI benefits for children work, a child disability attorney can provide answers. Working with experienced advocates for the disabled can help you understand the process of obtaining SSDI for a child.

Our team can advise you on filing an initial application. If you have already received one or more denials, work with a Milton children’s SSDI lawyer to maximize your chances of success in an appeal. Call today for a private consultation with one of our team members.

The Khaki Law Firm
Our Firm Approach

There are many Social Security disability law firms throughout Georgia. What sets The Khaki Law Firm apart from the rest? Why should you choose us? We are honored to represent those who have worked hard most of their lives, but due to a mental or physical impairment are no longer able to maintain employment and earn an income.

Read More

Contact The Khaki Law Firm Today

Don't Let the Deadlines Slip You By
(678) 228-8688

    We Are Here For You!

    Step 1 Of 2

    We Are Here For You!
    Have you had to stop working due to a physical and/or mental disability?YesNo
    Have you seen a medical professional in the past 6 months for your disability?YesNo
    Have you been advised by your medical professional that you are unable to work and need to file for disability?YesNo
    Have you made an application for social security disability and/or had a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge?YesNo
    Are you currently or have you in the past received any benefits from the Social Security Administration?YesNo

    Step 2 Of 2

    Contact Info

    With offices in Alpharetta, Atlanta and Marietta, we provide legal assistance to people throughout Georgia and the Southeast in all matters of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

    We are ready to help you, and offer multiple ways to reach us.